Mobile Wireless Hotspot Lending Policy
Purpose: In fulfilling the Library’s mission to provide access to information and educational resources, the PIT Library lends mobile wireless hotspots to Library patrons through the “Wi-Fi To Go” service
Terms and Conditions: A “hotspot” consists of the mobile wireless hotspot device itself, as well as its charger and case. When a patron borrows a mobile hotspot, the patron’s use of the equipment is available under the following terms and conditions. These terms and conditions are in addition to the standard Library policies (notably the Library’s Electronic Resources Policy) and other terms and conditions described below for which the user is responsible.
Eligibility: In order to borrow a hotspot, patrons must be 18 years of age or older and have an enrolled student, faculty, or staff member of The Pennsylvania Institute of Technology and Library card in good standing. Upon checkout, Library staff will confirm that all items are present in the hotspot kit. The patron must sign the Library’s Hotspot Agreement before a hotspot can be checked out. Only one hotspot may be borrowed on a patron’s account at any one time. The loan period for the hotspot is 30 days. Renewals are permissible as long as there is no waitlist for the device.
- By borrowing and initiating use of the Library’s hotspot, the user agrees to abide by the Library’s policies and rules and agrees to hold the Library and its agents harmless from any and all claims, losses, damages, obligations, or liabilities, directly or indirectly, relating to the use of the Library’s hotspot and internet access provided by the Library. Deliberate altering of any files or modifying the configuration of Library-owned equipment is strictly prohibited.
- The borrowing patron will be responsible for lost or damaged hotspots and accessories (includes theft thereof). Patrons must be mindful of replacement costs of mobile hotspots and accessories before borrowing, as they will be responsible for paying the actual replacement cost of a damaged or lost hotspot device or accessories. Replacement fees: Hotspot $50.00, Charger $15.00, Case $10.00
- Hotspots must be kept in a temperature-controlled environment (not left in vehicles or in extreme temperatures).
- Overdue hotspots will be deactivated at closing on the day the hotspot is due. Overdue fines will accrue at $1.00 per day up to the maximum replacement cost of $50.00 per device.
- Patrons are permitted to return the hotspot to the Library’s book drop, either inside or outside, or use the pre-paid return mailing envelope provided at check-out. HotSpot kits are checked for all components before checking it in from the borrowing patron’s account. The hotspot will not be considered returned until all components of the hotspot are returned.
Use and Service
- Internet service relies on cell tower technology and coverage. Service outside the continental United States is prohibited; any fees associated with use outside of this area will be the responsibility of the borrower. User experience can vary based on location. The Library is not responsible for personal information shared over the internet or for information or websites accessed. The Library is not responsible for any liability, damages, or expense resulting from the use of the hotspot. A hotspot can provide internet access for up to 15 devices.
- Unlawful use of the internet or use that violates the Library’s Electronic Resources Policy is prohibited and may result in the loss of privileges. The Library prohibits the use of its devices for the display or downloading of pornographic or obscene materials.
- For assistance in the operation of the Library’s Hotspots, borrowers may call the Library’s Reference Desk during normal business hours.